"The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sunday, October 25, 2009

11.

            There are tens of thousands of words on this blog, neatly arranged. They represent my best attempts to share the soft, weak thoughts that I have tried to shape into elementary sentences. But I feel that this blog has thus far been no more than a convenient repository for my own crude ideas, which are irrelevant and unfounded. I stared this blog for Cajal, and I must remember to engage his materials and resist my theorizing. He is the wise one, and I am ignorant. I need to listen and read more, and talk and write less. And I must elevate my studies, my work, above the quotidian chaos of decision-making and personal life. There is so much noise and distraction in the world that hinders our progress.
            But eleven is a new beginning; from now on, I will train my focus on research topic: the unification of artistic and scientific thought, as seen in the life and work of Santiago Ramón y Cajal. He was a complicated man with flaws and defects. Yet he overcame in order to achieve intellectual greatness. In the process, he gave the world an abundance of truth. My working thesis is that his discoveries re-direct the light of Truth like mimetic mirrors, clear, refined glass surface in which we might see and understand ourselves clearly and acquire the natural wisdom of self-knowledge.

My next post will address the second part of Cajal's autobiography: "The Story of My Scientific Work."


No comments:

Post a Comment