"The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, December 10, 2009

18. Quotes & Quotes

Lately I've been using Spanish Google because I can often track down word definitions that are hiding somewhere on the Web.  In this alternate, Iberian universe I found a great resource: a website commemorating Cajal's 150th birthday.  It even has an English translation!

Anyway, this site cited two other sites that got me excited.  They are quotation databases.  And who doesn't love a good quotation?  Many of these are from books that I have, but it's taking me a long time to work through them.  I thought I'd share:

"Remove yourself gradually, without violent breaks, from the friend for whom you represent a means instead of an end."

"You don't have enemies?  Is it that you never told the truth or never loved justice?"

"It is not worse to commit an error, but to try to justify it, instead of taking advantage of it as providential notice of our lightness or ignorance."

"Of all the possible reactions before injury, the most skilled and economical is silence."

"We scorn or hate ourselves because we do not understand because we do not take on the task of studying ourselves."

"The art of living a lot is to resign yourself to living little by little."

"Sympathy is very frequently a sentimental prejudice based on the idea that the face is the mirror of the soul.  Unfortunately, the face is almost always a mask."

"Ideas do not last long.  One must do something with them."

"Glory, in truth, is nothing other than a postponed obscurity."

"The weak succumb not for being weak, but for ignoring that they are it."

"Only the madman incapable of choosing his dreams and the sick man whom pain prevents from sleeping.


Here's to insomia . . .

1 comment:

  1. Pursuing material about Cajal, I found your site and am slowly reading though and following links, finding much to savor.

    I wasn't sure about the quotations you listed in this post---I assume they are from the works of Cajal?

    Thanks for the site.

    ReplyDelete