"The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

14. Cajal & Goethe [Briefly, Again]

The two diverge at the end of the road:

"And it is useless to affirm, with Goethe and many modern thinkers, that the search for final causes has no sense; that our task is to determine the how and not the why"[456].

[See: the beginning of Faust I]

Although he admired the German genius, Cajal was a completely classical thinker. I believe he belongs to the school of thought, the Western branch of which was founded by Heraclitus. Lao-Tzu provides a relevant Eastern reflection, in my opinion. I will trace this swerving path of influence somewhere else. There is a distinct philosophical mode, nearly perfected in the intellectual practice of these great men.

I am meeting with an extremely talented artist tonight, Pablo García, to discuss ideas. With a grant from Spain, he is preparing a Cajal-inspired visual art exhibit while studying at the School of Visual Arts. I had the pleasure of seeing a few slides of his work in Chicago; it is wonderful. I look forward to talking to somebody who shares my passion for this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment